Friday, January 14, 2011

Happy Sankranti

Posted by summer | at 2:19 AM

 I survived the first week of work and today is Makar Sankranti and am home, no work for me, yay.  A little bit about Sankranti, its a popular harvest festival in India and celebrated throughout the hindu community in many different ways, in southern India its called Pongal.



And since Mauritius includes both north and south Indian immigrants, the way we celebrate Sankranti is also very different.  Like every festival, it begins with an early morning purification ritual, with a bath followed with morning prayers.  The one tradition we have here is to prepare and serve Kitcheree on this day.  Kitchree is a rice  and mung bean dish. This year i gave it try, its my first kitchree dish.  I must admit it was not too bad.  I found the recipe on "show me the curry" videos made by Hetal and Anuja.  These ladies give clear and detailed step by step preparation guides, making it easy for a not-so-good-cook like me, to get great results. So thank you girls, here is the link: Show me the curry

My Kitchree served with Mango chutney, it was delish!!
I didn't have peas, so i simply added carrots and didn't put peanuts.  I also used garam masala.  As for the Mango Chutney, I picked a mango, half ripe, put some chillies, garlic and grind everything then add salt, taadaa!! its ready.


Close-up on my plate.



Look what i found, its a heart-shaped potato, I was looking for potatoes to add to my lunch, and I found this.

I took another potato from the basket and there was another one, lol.  Maybe its a sign?? What do you think?


P.S: Nope I didn't eat the potatoes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
~ Sweet Summer - Designed by Miss Rinda - Layout by My Blog Make Over - Author YOUR NAME HERE :) ~